Students of what we more commonly know today as the Armenian College & Philanthropic Academy, studied a wide range of subjects both in Armenian and English languages, including some great English classics.
|Source: BNA. Bombay Gazette 23 January 1850|
After undergoing a private examination, the pupils belonging to this Academy assembled on the premises, No. 10. Hamaum Gully, on the 10th instant, for public examination and the distribution of prizes to the successful candidates.The studies of the past year, as shewen by the programme, were, in the Armenian Department –Thesaurus’ Moral Philosophy,
Bossuet’s Universal History,
Milton’s Paradise Lost,
Poetical Works of Nierses the Graceful,
James’ Natural History,
Scripture History etc.,
And in the English Department –
Walker's Rhetorical Grammar,
History of England,
the use of the Globes,
It was only on some few of these that the classes were examined in public, and, so far as we may judge from ready answers, and satisfactory expression of countenance, the examination was a favourable one, and spoke creditably of the labour and perseverance both of the teachers and the taught.
The spacious hall in which the Annual Examinations of this Academy were held, was well filled with visitors who appeared to take a deep interest in the proceedings. Amongst those who took a part in the examination we noticed the Rev. Mr. Sinclair, the Rev. Ter Johannes Catchick, Mr. T.C. Aviet, Mr. Apcar and Mr. Thomas.The business of the day was closed by the Rev. Ter Johannes Catchick pronouncing the benediction.We had almost forgotten to notice the specimens of ornamental and plain Penmanship, Map Drawing, Translations from Armenian into English Composition that were laid out on the tables and attracted general attention. Many of the specimens of Penmanship and Map Drawing exhibited great taste and proficiency in those useful arts, and the translations and composition shewed correctness of diction.