Pages

Support The Stories!


Do you like these stories?
Please help me to continue bringing them to you.
A contribution, no matter how small will help.

https://www.paypal.me/LizChater




11 November 2021

1944 Letters From Afar: 'Your Ever Loving Grandson'

 



 



George Mackertich
Armenian Missionary, Julfa.
Image courtesy of Gregory Macar

 

Martin Sarkies was two years into his stay at La Martiniere School, Lucknow. He wrote regularly to his mother and grandfather back in Julfa.

 

I have highlighted in GREEN references to people/family.





Extract of letter written by young Martin Sarkies

 






2 comments:

  1. Before I read this post, I was not aware of the fact that there was a La Martiniere College in Lucknow. Back in October of 2017 my son Zenon and I visited La Martiniere College in Kolkata during a trip when we were in search of some information about my great great uncle Carr Lazarus Phillips (subject of your post of February 2023). When I first saw your 'Letters From Afar' post, it immediately reminded me of my uncle Avedis Galoostian's letters to his sister Margaret (my grandmother) and her husband Movses (my grandfather). Avedis who was born in Julfa in 1899 attended La Martiniere in Kolkata. While I am not certain about the exact duration of his attendance there, according to his numerous letters that I have inherited, he was there in 1918 and 1919 at the very least. Unfortunately, Unlike Martin's positive and happy letters in your post, Avedis's letters were far from upbeat and positive. He felt lonely, somewhat depressed and missed home terribly. The state of his mind comes across in his letters to his sister. He never married and died in Julfa in 1952.
    Andy M. Ontario, Canada
    February, 2023

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take a look at the Armenian College student register and see if there is any reference to Avedis. Will let you know.

      Delete